[Bioperl-l] BioPerl Migration to Git/GitHub

Robert Buels rmb32 at cornell.edu
Thu May 6 21:09:03 UTC 2010

The branching model at http://nvie.com/git-model is a good one, but the
diagram might be a little intimidating for devs that are new to git.

Note that the only branches that most devs will need to be concerned
with are the feature branches (sometimes called topic branches), and the
main development branch.  The other branches are mostly concerned with
making releases.

To weigh in on other issues on this thread:

* Might as well keep the svn metadata, it doesn't hurt and could help in
   any situations that call for historical digging around.
* I don't think we should allow any svn write support.  Anybody that
   truly cannot get over the hump can send patches to the list.

Thanks so much for heading this up Chris.

Rob