[Bioperl-l] What's to depend on for BioPerl-run version check

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 17 15:13:20 UTC 2010

What is probably the best thing to do is set up a stub module for each of the subdistributions that contains a proper version to match against.  So, for BioPerl-Run, use Bio::Run or Bio::Tools::Run, BioPerl-DB use Bio::DB, etc.  Distribution-specific general documentation would go in those stub modules.  I sort of started this, with the first alphas but didn't get around to finishing it up.

Just as a footnote, the universal $VERSION thingy was set up quite a while ago, prior to perl 5.8 I believe, and doesn't play very well with $VERSION (and version.pm) on newer perl versions.  Once we move beyond 1.6.x towards breaking things up we'll have to assign new VERSIONs to anything released independently on CPAN, anyway, so this may eventually be a moot point.

chris

The inherited $VERSION thingy was set up a while back, basically as a way of assigning a common version across BioPerl.