[Bioperl-l] unambiguous assembly of fastq reads into fastq sequences combining q-scores

Albert Vilella avilella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 10:47:01 UTC 2010

Hi Sean,

By unambiguous assembly of reads I mean that one would not squash
bubbles or trim branches, but simply collapse fully overlapping
(embedded) reads by combining the q-scores, or raising the q-scores if
you want, and keeping branching graphs separate.

This unambiguous denovo assembly would discard depth information,
which is important if you are doing digital gene expression analysis,
but would produce a collapsed fastq set of sequences that would be
leaner for downstream processing.

I'll have a look at Mosaik. I tried samtools pileup, but it seems a
bit overcomplicated to have to map back the reads if what you want to
do is just have the assembled reads with fastq scores coming out of
the assembler in the first place. That's why I was thinking it would
be good to have this unambiguous or "dummy" fastq assembly output
could fit into a bioperl script or method.

Cheers