[Bioperl-l] Splitting out Bio::Microarray

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 25 16:44:31 UTC 2010

All,

We have had the Bio::Microarray code in bioperl-live for a while now, but it hasn't been released as part of bioperl core in the 1.6 series mainly b/c the code has been under active development.  Seeing as a paper has been recently published for the code, though (which indicates to me it's in a finished state), and seeing as we have been talking for a while about splitting out specific focused code into separate distributions, I vote we move the various Bio::Microarray modules either into their own separate distribution or into the bioperl-microarray distribution.  I also suggest Marian undertake primary or secondary maintainer status of that code for official CPAN releases.  Marian, let me know if you need help along those lines.

I also suggest we eventually do the same for the PhyloNetwork modules down the line, and that we steer users who want to submit new publication-focused bioperl-reliant code into their own CPAN distributions.

If no one has complaints, I'll work on moving the code out over the next week, likely into bioperl-microarray.