[Bioperl-l] bioperl support for running blast locally

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 19:11:24 UTC 2010

I don't see how StandAloneBlastPlus can help extract all the
information I need. For example, I need to know the starts and the
ends of the pair of sequences that match (1 and 33, and 1 and 33 in
the following example). How many gaps and mismatches there are (no
gaps and no mismatches in the following example)? The strand
information.

Would you please let me know if these are possible with
StandAloneBlastPlus from git?

$ blastn -query <(echo
CGCGGGGATGACTCTAAGCATGGTGCAGGCGATAGATCGGAAGAGCGGTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATCTC)
-subject <(echo
ATCGCCTGCACCATGCTTAGAGTCATCCCCGCGAGATCGGAAGAGCGTCGTGTAGGGAAAGAGTGTAGATCTCGG)
> HWI-EAS11X_10097_4_1_1909_9532.txt
$ cat HWI-EAS11X_10097_4_1_1909_9532.txt
BLASTN 2.2.23+

Query=
Length=75

Subject=
Length=75

 Score = 62.1 bits (33),  Expect = 1e-15
 Identities = 33/33 (100%), Gaps = 0/33 (0%)
 Strand=Plus/Minus

Query  1   CGCGGGGATGACTCTAAGCATGGTGCAGGCGAT  33
Sbjct  33  CGCGGGGATGACTCTAAGCATGGTGCAGGCGAT  1

Lambda     K      H
    1.33    0.621     1.12

Gapped
Lambda     K      H
    1.28    0.460    0.850

Effective search space used: 4761

Matrix: blastn matrix 1 -2
Gap Penalties: Existence: 0, Extension: 0

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu> wrote:
> StandAloneBlastPlus is the wrapper for BLAST+ (NCBI's C++-based BLAST implementation).  StandAloneBlast is the C-based legacy BLAST (they have different parameters).
>
> For the rest, please see the associated documentation and the HOWTO:
>
> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:BlastPlus
>
> chris
>
> On Jun 5, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
>
>> It seems that StandAloneBlastPlus is a higher level wrapper than
>> BlastPlus. Is it better to use StandAloneBlastPlus?
>>
>> Essentially, what I need is to compare pairs of sequences. Note that I
>> want to use the bash Process substitution to avoid generating temp
>> files. Does StandAloneBlastPlus support this? If yes, would you please
>> how me what command to use?
>>
>> blastn -query <(echo
>> GTTGAGTCCAGGCATCCCTGCCATCCCTGAGATCGGAAGAGCGTTTCAGCAGGAATGCCGAGACCGATATCGTAT)
>> -subject <(echo
>> CAGGGATGGCAGGGATGCCTGGACTCAACAGATCGGAAGAGCGTCGTGTAGGGAAAGAGTGTAGATCTCGGTGGT)
>>

>> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Florent Angly <florent.angly at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To run BLAST locally, see  bioperl-run  / lib  / Bio  / Tools  / Run  /
>>> BlastPlus.pm
>>> Then to parse the results, you can read this:
>>> http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO
>>> Florent

>> --
>> Regards,