[Bioperl-l] Leftover SVN tags

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Sun Jun 6 12:04:22 UTC 2010

If the file is outside of the checkout directory (i.e. installed and no .git subdir), how do we know what version it is?

We can calculate the SHA1, but is there a git command that answers the question "where does the file with this SHA1 belong into the repository?"

If there is, I'm fine with dropping the in-file $Id$ rev/author/datestamp information. (Seems like that's the Way of Git, anyway).

If not, though, I'm kinda inclined to keep some sort of author and datestamp in each file. I am prepared to be convinced otherwise, though. I've done a little reading on this issue, but I don't fully understand the arguments against.

Dave