[Bioperl-l] Problems at NCBI with Javascript

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 09:56:49 UTC 2010

Hello, I know there will be people who think that this may be off-topic for
the list, but I don't know of another list that might be better.

The basic problem is the recent trend by NCBI to insist that browsers must
have Javascript turned on to work.

Now I have a real problem with this. All the databases at NCBI have been
writen over the last 15 or so years to produce basic HTML..  Switching this
to a requirement for HTML + Javascript in my mind is simply wrong-headed.  I
will save the list my list of problems I have with Javascrip (it isn't
short)t.   I'll simply provide the first one -- It isn't Green.

So I would like to ask if anyone knows why NCBI is heading in this
direction?  (Tonight they seem to have broken non-Javascript enabled use of
PubMed and that has me a little upset.

Is there a better source to taking with anyone directly at NCBI about this
than the Help Desk (I usually find them unresponsive).  Do they have
something like a Bugzilla bug database or an internal developers mailing
list?

I'm sorry in advance for troubling list members with this but I didn't know
of anwhere else to turn [1].

Thank you,
Robert Bradbury

1. I'll also note that they could at least leave the old interface active
indefinitely.  Google/gmail show that its perfectly possible to write
"enhanced" user interfaces that work with HTML+Javascript and simple HTML.