[Bioperl-l] Parsing individual exons from EMBL file

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Sat Dec 18 00:32:31 UTC 2010

You need to operate on the sub-locations.
basically
for my $loc ( $feature->location->each_Location ) {
  print $loc->start .. $loc->end, "\n";
}

But for converting to GFF3 will want to look at the Unflattener which
basically does this for you and the bp_unflatten_seq.pl script which
implements it.  What you may know by now is that all EMBL/GenBank
records are not consistent in how things are annotated (how ID, product,
description are used) so mapping this to properly formatted GFF3 for
Gbrowse, etc can be a tedious process sometimes.

FYI -- APIDB also provides GFF3 if you would rather...
  http://tritrypdb.org/common/downloads/release-2.5/Lmajor/gff/

-jason