[Bioperl-l] Possible migration to git/github

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 20 19:05:19 UTC 2010

On Apr 20, 2010, at 1:51 PM, Peter wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:26 PM, D. Joe Anderson wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 02:24:22PM +0100, Peter wrote:
>>> You are right there is a potential concern if the project comes
>>> depend on any of github's additions like the network diagram
>>> or commenting features,
>>
>> Given that the github additions are usually cited in favor of
>> putting a project into github, I would say that such concerns
>> are likely to be realized.
>
> It is certainly worth keeping in mind (especially if BioPerl
> does move to github). While we are on this topic, to me
> the nicest parts about github are two things:
>
> (*) Easy tracking of other forks of a project (or rather,
> other forks also on github)
>
> (*) Building on this, the network diagram. I imagine a similar
> figure *could* be made as a standalone tool. If such a thing
> exists, I'd be interested to try it.

For tracking in-repo branches I use gitk, but I assume tracking forks would probably require some programmatic access for determining who has forked code within github.  I'm not aware of tools that track that outside of github.

>> Sorry, this is a new thread that Chris started.  I'd missed the
>> earlier one.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> Yeah - that was a while back, but in my mind it was just a
> continuation of the old thread.
>
> Peter

Pretty much.  Just making sure it stays on people's radars, particularly when our main anon. mirror is down 90% of the time.