[Bioperl-l] Bio::DB::GenBank question (acc vs. version)

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 16 17:29:40 UTC 2009

On Sep 16, 2009, at 12:22 PM, bill at genenformics.com wrote:

>> As for generic accession w/o version, efetch does support it but it
>> does have problems (pulling up more than one sequence in rare cases,
>> for instance).
>>

> This is probably because NCBI ID servers are not completely
> synchronized
> or are in the process of synchronization. get_Seq_by_acc is not as
> safe as
> other functions.
>
> Bill

Right, but unfortunately it's necessary as the default in most cases
is to grab/display the accession, not the UID.  For instance, BLAST
output must be specifically flagged to display the GI.

This is an instance where documentation would be a good idea to
indicate the problem.  I think I have done that but I'll double-check.