[Bioperl-l] Significant blocker for 1.6.1 : Nexml

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 8 04:23:26 UTC 2009

All,

I'm running into a pretty significant blocker for 1.6.1 re: Chase's
Nexml code.  In particular, I have tried three versions of Bio::Phylo;
the default CPAN installation (1.6), the latest CPAN RC (1.7_RC9, not
installed by default), and the latest from Bio::Phylo svn:

https://nexml.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/nexml/trunk/nexml/perl

At this moment only the Bio::Phylo code from svn is working with
BioPerl's Nexml modules.  From my local tests Bio::Phylo 1.6 appears
to be missing Bio::Phylo::Factory (all Nexml tests fail), whereas
1.7_RC9 has some kind of versioning issue (again, all tests fail).
The problem: CPAN will always install 1.6 (the others are RC, so they
won't be installed unless the full path is used).  Even so, nothing on
CPAN even works; one must use the latest Bio::Phylo SVN code.

ATM I'm just not seeing how this can be released with 1.6.1 right now,
unless one of the following occurs:

1) Rutger V. drops a quick non-RC release to CPAN,
2) check for the minimal working Bio::Phylo version and safely skip
any Nexml-related tests unless proper version is present (not easy
with a $VERSION like '1.7_RC9'),
3) push Nexml into it's own distribution (something we were planning
on anyway with a number of modules)

As for #3 above, I think it probably belongs in a larger bioperl-phylo
as Mark had previously proposed.  I'm open to just about any solution.