[Bioperl-l] Bio::Tree:Statistics parsimony question

Chris coldmeadow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 21:00:49 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

I might be missing something, but I cant see how that will work. ps()  takes
as input a tree with the tags already in the leaf nodes and the key for
those tags.  I think your suggested solution places the tags from the @seq
array into ps() which throws an exception error.

Maybe another explanaition;

I would like to calculate the parsimony score at each position of an
alignment. Consider 1 block with only 1 character in for each species;

species1    A
species 2   G
species 3   G
species 4   G

I can do this for 1 position, by adding the tag (which Ive named 'seq')
value pair  to each leaf node of the phylogeny tree for the 4 species, where
the tag is a single character.  Then calculating the parsimony for that
column is simply

my $obj = Bio::Tree::Statistics->new();
my $pars = $obj->ps($tree,'seq');
print "Parsimony = $pars \n";

Now consider an alignment block with more than 1 character
species1    ACG
species 2   GCT
species 3   GGG
species 4   GGT

 I see it is possible to add an array of values as a tag, now, instead of a
single character as a tag on each leaf node, I have an array of nucleotides
as tags at each leaf node. I was hoping for a way to calculate the parsimony
given a tree with such tag value pairs.

Regards, Chris.