[Bioperl-l] handling nexus files

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Mon Oct 5 22:16:50 UTC 2009

you can manipulate the alignments to do this - so see what you can do
with Bio::Align objects like Bio::SimpleAlign which is what you get
when parsing with Bio::AlignIO.

The concatenation problem basically requires concatenating the data in
the sequence objects.

Here is really basic solution - you'd want to add some error checking
in there for consistency of data, all IDs present in all files, etc.

http://gist.github.com/202528

use Bio::AlignIO;
use Bio::SimpleAlign;
use strict;
my %seqs;
for my $file ( @ARGV ) {
  my $in = Bio::AlignIO->new(-format=> 'nexus', -file => $file);
   if ( my $aln = $in->next_aln ) {
    for my $seq ( $aln->each_seq ) {
    $seqs{$seq->display_id} .= $seq->seq;
   }
  }
}

my $newaln = Bio::SimpleAlign->new;
for my $id ( keys %seqs ) {
  $newaln->add_seq(Bio::LocatableSeq->new(-id=> $id,-seq=>$seqs{$id}));
}
my $out = Bio::AlignIO->new(-format => 'nexus');
$out->write_aln($newaln);

-jason