[Bioperl-l] DANGER: hacking of bioperl wiki?

Andrew Grimm andrew.j.grimm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 02:52:31 UTC 2009

Caution: read the whole email before visiting the bioperl wiki

I was doing some bioinformatics-related searching using google, and
one of the hits was to the bio dot perl dot org wiki (the FAQ in
particular).

When I did that, I was redirected to a ferdax dot com web site (a
typo-squatting of fedex?).

Some people reckon that ferdax hacks web sites and redirects google
hits from the victim web site to their own web site. For example, this
thread at google's webmaster central
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Webmasters/thread?tid=37a36c0d1ea99819&hl=en#all
(it's talking about zencart, but presumably they've since found other
victims)

Just going to the website without using google may not trigger the redirect.

Apologies if this is a false alarm, but I don't think it is.

I won't be in contact between Friday and Monday Australian time (I'll
be at railscamp 6 in Melbourne), so I won't be able to answer any