[Bioperl-l] Asking for advice on full EMBL extraction

brian li brianli.cas at gmail.com
Thu May 7 04:50:26 UTC 2009

Dear Russell,

My example code is as following. I omit the parse process and these
lines give me "Segmentation Fault" too.

# Start of code
my $seqio = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file => 'rel_ann_mus_01_r99.dat',
                                             -format => 'EMBL');
my $index = 1;
while (my $seq = $seqio->next_seq)
{
    print "Dealing with entry: $index\n";
}
# End

The platform I run this code on:
BioPerl 1.6.0
Perl 5.8.8
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server 64-bit version (Linux 2.6.24-23-server)

I have monitored the memory usage when I run the code above. There is
always around 20GB free memory (buffer size counted in) left. So I
suppose the segfault can't be explained just by memory shortage.

Brian