[Bioperl-l] Next-gen modules

Tristan Lefebure tristan.lefebure at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 13:27:12 UTC 2009

Hello,
Regarding next-gen sequences and bioperl, following my
experience, another issue is bioperl speed. For example, if
you want to trim bad quality bases at ends of 1E6 Solexa
reads using Bio::SeqIO::fastq and some methods in
Bio::Seq::Quality, well, you've got to be patient (but may
be I missed some shortcuts...).

A pure perl solution will be between 100 to 1000x faster...
Would it be possible to have an ultra-light quality object
with few simple methods for next-gen reads?

I can contribute some tests if that sounds like an important
point.

-Tristan