[Bioperl-l] Bio::Moose is now....

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 29 18:35:50 UTC 2009

Biome!  This makes the most sense to me; as Mark points out the name
works as an appropriate acronym (BioPerl with Metaclass Extensions),
as well as a biome being (per wikipedia):

"a climatically and geographically defined areas of ecologically
similar climatic conditions such as communities of plants, animals,
and soil organisms ... often referred to as ecosystems".

Seems a fitting name for a open-source project.  I'll be moving the
namespace over to Biome over the next couple of days on github.  Now I
owe Mark some beer...

Now, for extensions, should I assume this will eventually be BioPerl2
(and thus use BioX::*)?  Or stick with BiomeX::*?

chris

PS: Just a quick benchmark for the current Bio::Moose::PrimarySeq
implementation (we don't have SeqIO working as of yet, so the
benchmark script does the heavy lifting):

http://gist.github.com/158317