[Bioperl-l] [Gmod-gbrowse] plugin Aligner.pm and MySQL syntax

Dave Clements, GMOD Help Desk gmodhelp at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 22 23:58:17 UTC 2009

Hi Davide,

On my version of SeqFeature/Store/DBI/mysql.pm, the problem query is:

  # if no other criteria are specified, then
  # only fetch indexed (i.e. top level objects)
  @where = 'indexed=1' unless @where;

  my $from  = join ', ', at from;
  my $where = join ' AND ',map {"($_)"} @where;
  my $group = join ', ', at group;
  $group    = "GROUP BY $group" if @group;

  my $query = <<END;
SELECT f.id,f.object,f.typeid,f.seqid,f.start,f.end,f.strand
  FROM $from
  WHERE $where
  $group
END

  $self->_print_query($query, at args) if DEBUG || $self->debug;

  my $sth = $self->_prepare($query);
  $sth->execute(@args) or $self->throw($sth->errstr);

Which looks OK to me.  However, $from, $where and $group are set in many
places upstream, and that is where the extra comma (or missing field name)
is, I think.

I don't see how this can be a user-caused problem.  My guess is that this is
a problem in SeqFeature, rather than in GBrowse per se, so I'm going to also
add BioPerl to this thread (and maybe someone there will send it back :-).

Dave C.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:11 AM, Davide Rambaldi CNR <
davide.rambaldi at itb.cnr.it> wrote:

> Hi, I have a server with an instance of gbrowse version 1.69 (with MySQL
> DBI adaptor)
>
> I have decided to add the plugin Aligner.pm and I have as result an
> empty page and this EXCEPTION:
>
>  -------------------- EXCEPTION --------------------, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> MSG: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
> corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use
> near '), referer: http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
>
> )' at line 12, referer: http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
>
> STACK Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store::DBI::mysql::_features
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Bio/DB/SeqFeature/Store/DBI/mysql.pm:851,
> referer: http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> STACK Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Store::features
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Bio/DB/SeqFeature/Store.pm:1067, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> STACK Bio::DB::SeqFeature::Segment::features
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0/Bio/DB/SeqFeature/Segment.pm:201, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> STACK Bio::Graphics::Browser::Plugin::Aligner::dump
> /etc/apache2/gbrowse.conf/plugins/Aligner.pm:159, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> STACK main::do_plugin_dump /usr/lib/cgi-bin/gbrowse:3439, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> STACK toplevel /usr/lib/cgi-bin/gbrowse:237, referer:
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
> http://155.253.41.215/cgi-bin/gbrowse/charcot/
>

> Seems that the query to MySQL have a syntax error... any solution
> avaliable for this bug?
>
> Thanks
>
> Davide R

* Register now for the August GMOD Meeting:
http://gmod.org/wiki/August_2009_GMOD_Meeting
* Please keep responses on the list!
* Was this helpful?  Let us know at http://gmod.org/wiki/Help_Desk_Feedback