[Bioperl-l] bp_genbank2gff3.pl vs. EMBL2GFF ?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Mon Jan 19 15:04:53 UTC 2009

Well, Dan,

You may get exactly what you need from the line of code you have written.
Excellent!
However, genbank files can be complex, and will contain information that users
may
want to manipulate in different ways, particularly in ways that are computable.
This script has other features under the hood, that you may not require, but at
least
one person (the script's author) did.

One way to discover 'extra benefits' is to examine the script documentation,
which
describes in detail the capabilities of the script. To access it, open the
script file,
or use another possibly superfluous script that parses files in a particular
context,
called "perldoc", like this:
perldoc genbank2gff3.PLS

It's also worth keeping in mind that BioPerl, as heavily object-oriented as it
is, is
written to optimize development time, maybe at the expense of CPU cycles or
disk space. I have written my own modules that BioPerl could certainly have
done,
but only with a generality that would have been pointless overhead for my
application.

I can have a look at the error.
Best,
Mark