[Bioperl-l] The Power of R

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Wed Jan 7 14:14:59 UTC 2009

Quote from article:
"I think it addresses a niche market for high-end data analysts that want free,
readily available code," said Anne H. Milley, director of technology product
marketing at SAS. She adds, "We have customers who build engines for aircraft. I
am happy they are not using freeware when I get on a jet."

Ignoring for the moment that avionics is probably in the 'high-end' category,
I'm wondering how much "freeware" (ahem..) is controlling mission-critical
operations around the world.

I would choose "freeware" by Venables, Ihaka, and Gentleman (not to mention,
say, Wall...) over bloated, slow, overpriced, etc etc etc, anyday. Hey, in fact
I do!

(Thanks for the oppy to vent.)