[Bioperl-l] function for duplication events?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Fri Feb 20 04:56:33 UTC 2009

Chrysanthi-
I believe the positive identification of duplicated genes is tricky-
The question is, do you a have a list of known paralogous gene pairs,
or do you need to sift the sequence for likely candidates. I think it
should be "relatively straightforward" (haha!) to look down trees for
the most recent common ancestor of known pairs, and use that node
as an approximation for the duplication event.
If you don't know what genes you have are duplicates of each other,
then you might have a look at the algorithm in
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12836682
by Wen-Hsiung Li, Zhenglong Gu, et al. This paper is relatively
old (2003)--it's not my specialty; I'm sure many developments
have ensued since. Gu has done nice computational work in this
area and you might want to track him down.
(If you want this paper and can't access it, contact me off-list.)
Mark