[Bioperl-l] Comparison between bioperl and biopython?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 16:08:09 UTC 2009

May I ask somebody who are versitile in both bioperl and biopython
comment on the pros and cons of bioperl and biopython? I'm sending
this email to both bioperl and biopython mailing lists. But I hope
that it will not result in any contention.

I assume that the functionality between bioperl or biopython is the
same, i.e., tasks can be done in bioperl can be done biopython and
vice versa, as both libraries have been out there over 10 years.
Please correct me if my understanding is not true.

Given that a task that can be done with either bioperl or biopython,
I, in particularly, want to know how long it will take to write the
code for the task in bioperl and biopython, with the same readability
requirement (see below) and the assumption that users have the same
fluency in perl and python.

python is claimed to be good for maintainability. But perl is
criticized for there-are-many-ways-for-a-given-task. Since there are
multiple ways in perl, let us assume that we always use perl in a
readable way.