[Bioperl-l] Modern BioPerl vs. Ensembl

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 25 14:07:52 UTC 2009

Andreas,

Thanks for the response, been waiting for something a bit more
official for a while now.

We can definitely help you patch these as needed when problems arise,
just let us know, or file a bug report listing issues.  Scanning
through there will be a could of future trouble spots:

1) We are very likely deprecating Bio::Species in favor of Bio::Taxon
(that may be relatively easy to map, as Bio::Species now delegates to
Bio::Taxon and similar anyway).
2) We will be refactoring Bio::SimpleAlign/LocatableSeq.  There are
too many corner cases where assumptions are made.  We'll try to stick
with the current API, but there may be a few delegating methods.

More significantly, we're also planning a significant restructuring of
bioperl prior to 1.7, basically splitting it into several (more easily
maintainable) parts.  The exact nature of these is still a bit fuzzy
(we have to sort out dependencies) but we do plan on making a bundle
package to assemble a complete old-style 'monolithic' bioperl, just a
bit more customizable.

It's very likely the versioning scheme will stay the same for the core
(root) set of modules, but the others may end up having their own
versioning for monitoring dependencies.

chris