[Bioperl-l] Modern BioPerl vs. Ensembl

William Spooner whs at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Aug 25 11:04:23 UTC 2009

On 25 Aug 2009, at 03:29, Chris Fields wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2009, at 7:12 PM, George Hartzell wrote:
>

>> There's a warning at Ensembl about the perl api code depending on an
>> old version of bioperl (1.2.3)
>>
>> http://www.ensembl.org/info/docs/webcode/install/ensembl-code.html
>>
>> Does anyone have current information about that dependency?
>>
>> My quick-n-dirty tests suggest that one can't build an app that uses
>> both new Bioperl and the ensembl api without ensembl picking up the
>> newer bioperl libraries (or your app getting the older ones).  It's
>> not clear what parts of the ensembl world depend on the older
>> BioPerl.
>
> I've asked this question several times of the ensembl folk w/o an
> adequate response.  My general feeling is even they may not really
> know for sure (though I recall ewan saying something about feature/
> annotation changes around then, and maybe something about the
> blastreporter).
>
> Saying that, the ensembl perl API worked for me using bioperl-live
> (and bioperl 1.6) as of a couple months ago.  You might eventually
> run into some issues; if so report them back here and to the ensembl
> list.

I'm not sure of the full list of dependencies, but my feeling is that
most are related to the Ensembl application/web code; the blast
interface in particular. I can support Chris's findings that the API
works (AFAIK) with bioperl-live, but this is obviously untested.

>> Anyone have any recipes to make it work?
>>
>> Any info on a possible modernization of the ensembl code?
>
> That is completely up to the ensembl folks.  bioperl 1.2.3 is full
> enough of bugs, and I don't plan on backporting any changes to that
> branch (seems kind of silly, as that branch is now about six yrs old).

It would be nice if someone at Ensembl could compile a list of BioPerl
dependencies. At least that would give a feel for the scope of the
problem...

Will