[Bioperl-l] GFF and LocatableSeq refactoring

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Aug 18 16:34:00 UTC 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:46 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 7:42 PM, Robert Buels wrote:
>
>> I can see how this might be a good idea, or it might be overkill.
>> Anybody have thoughts on having feature _sources_ strongly typed
>> with ontology terms?
>
> It's how BioSQL and Chado would store it anyway. I'm not sure
> whether GFF3 requires it, possibly not.

Might be worth bringing up with Lincoln to get his thoughts.

> But when you make everything else ontology-typed, why exempt one
> property that also stands to benefit from more predictable values?
>
> 	-hilmar

What I'm thinking as well.  You can always implement it that way, and
if we deem it too heavy-weight then revert back.  Or have it evaluated
lazily and get the benefits of both.

That's the magic of doing this on a branch, it gives you much more
latitude to try things out.