[Bioperl-l] Problems with Bioperl-ext package on WinVista?

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Tue Aug 11 21:05:10 UTC 2009

Jonny,
It will run in Win/Vis but there are some caveats. The BioPerl package has some
plain C components, as Rob pointed out. These need to be compiled, and the
objects/libraries put in the right place. CPAN will cause this to happen when
you have a compiler available; ActiveState .ppm will download the binaries
directly from the repository (my understanding, anyway). CPAN is always
available by doing

> perl -MCPAN -e shell

but you may not have a C compiler around. This is a little tricky. You can
either explore Visual C/C++ options from MS here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms950410.aspx, or you can do as I do,
and install Cygwin (www.cygwin.com), which creates a linux-like environment with
GNU compiler tools and many other (wonderful, IMHO) goodies. Not as wonderful as
the real thing, I grant. Which bring me to a third possibility, that I haven't
tried, which is an Ubuntu box running in a VM under Windows, or as a dual-boot
system (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot).
MAJ