[Bioperl-l] genbank2gff.pl choking on CONTIG sections

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Wed Sep 24 23:05:18 UTC 2008

It should already if it is using Bio::DB::GenBank -- do you have
example of a fail?  There seems to be some defaulting to EMBL for the
source in the biofetch code so it might be worth twiddling.

from Bio::DB::GenBank

Note that when querying for GenBank accessions starting with 'NT_' you
will need to call $gb->request_format('fasta') beforehand, because
in GenBank format (the default) the sequence part will be left out
(the reason is that NT contigs are rather annotation with references
to clones).

Some work has been done to automatically detect and retrieve whole NT_
clones
when the data is in that format (NCBI RefSeq clones). The former
behavior prior
to bioperl 1.6 was to retrieve these from EBI, but now these are
retrieved
directly from NCBI. The older behavior can be regained by setting the
'redirect_refseq' flag to a value evaluating to TRUE.