[Bioperl-l] Thoughts on some test reorganization

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Nov 17 17:03:28 UTC 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 12:30 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> Completely OT, but I wouldn't be surprised if OS X 10.6 (Snow
> Leopard) ships with 5.10, just haven't seen anything to confirm that
> yet.

True, but I've just recently been dumbfounded when a student in a
course we were running showed up with a Mac OSX Jaguar laptop (and was
quite happy with it).

In other words, not everyone out there upgrades the OS eagerly.

I agree it's reasonable not to put a lot of energy into fixing bugs
that only show up under Perl prior to 5.8.x. But if BioPerl refuses to
even work (or spit out ugly warnings) under 5.6, isn't that a bit too
much of forcing upgrades on people who may not necessarily need it?

	-hilmar