[Bioperl-l] extending the PHYLIP format

Weigang Qiu weigang at GENECTR.HUNTER.CUNY.EDU
Wed May 28 18:01:55 UTC 2008

Let me summarize a few things I implemented during the 07 Nescent
Hackathon (with a lot of help from Sandu, Aaron, and Jason):

1. A "longname.aln" is included in the bioperl-live. Which turns out to
be the same file as "pep-266.aln" (one of them showed be removed). This
file is in clustalw format. Also, it doesn't contain the tough cases
like 50 chars long, with spaces and single quotes.

2. The solution to this ugly restriction that had been implemented
include the following pair of SimpleAlignI methods:
 set_displayname_safe

      Title     : set_displayname_safe
      Usage     : ($new_aln, $ref_name)=$ali->set_displayname_safe(4)
      Function  : Assign machine-generated serial names to sequences in
input order.
                  Designed to protect names during PHYLIP runs. Assign
10-char string
                  in the form of "S000000001" to "S999999999". Restore
the original
                  names using "restore_displayname".
      Returns   : 1. a new $aln with system names;
                  2. a hash ref for restoring names
      Argument  : Number for id length (default 10)

 restore_displayname

      Title     : restore_displayname
      Usage     : $aln_name_restored=$ali->restore_displayname($hash_ref)
      Function  : Restore original sequence names (after running
                  $ali->set_displayname_safe)
      Returns   : a new $aln with names restored.
      Argument  : a hash reference of names from "set_displayname_safe".

3. Added following tests in "SimpleAlign.t":
# test set_displayname_safe & restore_displayname:
$str = Bio::AlignIO->new(-file=>
Bio::Root::IO->catfile("t","data","pep-266.aln"));
$aln=$str->next_aln();
is $aln->get_seq_by_pos(3)->display_id, 'Smik_Contig1103.1', 'initial
display id ok';
my ($new_aln, $ref)=$aln->set_displayname_safe();
is $new_aln->get_seq_by_pos(3)->display_id, 'S000000003', 'safe display
id ok';
my $restored_aln=$new_aln->restore_displayname($ref);
is $restored_aln->get_seq_by_pos(3)->display_id, 'Smik_Contig1103.1',
'restored display id ok';

I would be happy to contribute more if additional work or design is needed.

ps. We developed a module for graphic annotation of alignments using GD
(modeled after Bio::Graphics). This should be useful for people who are
annotating alignments manually (such as highlight alignment positions,
labeling domains, etc). Someone help me to deposit it in bioperl-live
through subversion would be great (my cvs developer's account was told
to be not useful any more).

Jason Stajich wrote:
> Should also ask Weigang what the status is, I think he implemented a
> lot of it.
>
> -jason
> On May 28, 2008, at 6:51 AM, Chris Fields wrote:
>
>> Could you post a few example phylip sequences with long names to svn
>> and add a ticket to bugzilla?  I would consider this a somewhat
>> high-priority enhancement.
>>
>> I think keeping this in a single phylip module would be best, but
>> we'll to see how feasible it is.  I think it is possible to do so,
>> however, and still retain some backwards compatibility (I may even
>> have an idea how, just need to test it out).
>>
>> chris
>>
>> On May 28, 2008, at 3:23 AM, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
>>
>>> I just learned that a number of phylogenetics packages (PAUP, PHYML,
>>> Mr Bayes
>>> at least ) now allow longer than 10 character IDs in PHYLIP format. The
>>> documentation is scarce but the rules seem to be:
>>>
>>> 1. There can be spaces before the ID.
>>> 2. The ID can be up to 50 characters long.