[Bioperl-l] Gene Id converts.

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 29 17:42:50 UTC 2008

There are the GenBank LiveLists (updated every Sunday), which has
accession/version/UID mappings for nuc and protein GenBank records.  I
haven't used it personally but it's worth a look:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/genbank/livelists/
There is also gene2accession, which contains mappings between
accession and UID (though this is more EntrezGene-related, I believe):
ftp://ftp.ncbi.nih.gov/gene/DATA/

Both have documentation detailing formats.  I would recommend using
one of the above two on a local database setup if you plan on
converting a large number of accessions.

Bio::DB::EUtilities can also do this but is web-based via eutils.
There are a couple of stub examples in the Cookbook HOWTO under
'efetch' on converting accessions to UID (and vice versa), though note
there is no one-to-one correspondence.  You can also convert UIDs to
accessions using 'esummary' but the converse (accession to GI)
requires, strangely, using efetch to grab the UIDs first, then re-
retrieving the acccessions via esummary for one-to-one correspondence.
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:EUtilities_Cookbook

chris