[Bioperl-l] anonymous cvs?

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 6 20:38:22 UTC 2008

Okay, I have set up nightly builds for bioperl-live, db, network, and
run here:

http://www.bioperl.org/DIST/nightly_builds/
ftp://ftp.open-bio.org/pub/bioperl/DIST/nightly_builds

At the moment this is running via a crontab off a script in my portal
account, retrieving everything via anon. svn and bundling it up into
zip and tarball archives.  I would like to set it up to grab
everything off dev but I don't want to mess with my ssh setup, so if
anyone has ideas there...

The script also adds a CHANGELOG file (last 10 commits) and removes
the .svn directories prior to bundling.  The archive name has the
subversion revision number and date included; md5 checksums are in the
SIGNATURES file.  I'll check on it again tomorrow to make sure cron
ran it.

We can probably set up automated PPM builds as well; might be worth
testing down the road (we need a way to set defaults for Build args
prior to getting that running).

chris

On Mar 6, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Chris Fields wrote:

> I'm working on the nightly build script now and will post back when
> everything is set up.
>
> chris
>
> On Mar 6, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Scott Cain wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I think a nightly generated tarball would be sufficient for my
>> use.  We
>> used anon cvs to get the lastest bioperl and then threw it away
>> once it
>> was installed, so a tarball is just as good,if not better, since
>> users
>> wouldn't need to install svn.  Not needing to install svn is good
>> thing
>> for all my users, since I think many distributions do not supply it
>> by
>> default.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott
>>

>> On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 11:10 -0600, Chris Fields wrote:
>>> BioPerl CVS is no longer being updated; you have to use Subversion
>>> grab the latest (we have anon. svn set up for this).  We discussed
>>> syncing svn commits over to cvs but found it way too problematic and
>>> decided to make a clean break.
>>>
>>> The best option I can think of as a replacement (so everyone isn't
>>> dependent on installing svn to get Gbrowse and bioperl-live) is to
>>> get
>>> a cron job set up which drops a bioperl-live archive into
>>> bioperl.org/
>>> DIST or bioperl.org/SRC.  We have already talked about doing this
>>> for
>>> nightly builds from svn main trunk; we can probably set that up on
>>> our
>>> end.  Would that be feasible as a fallback in case svn isn't