[Bioperl-l] bioperl 1.6

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:26:11 UTC 2008

On Jul 31, 2008, at 1:18 AM, Rutger Vos wrote:

> I would be interested to hear what sort of timeline you have in mind
> for 1.6. For a while now, Bio::Phylo has been informally compatible
> with bioperl, but I'd like to target 1.6 for formal, advertised
> interoperability.

This may depend on Arlin's suggestion of having another
phylohackathon, which (if it happens) represents a great opportunity
to get together and work out Bio::Phylo and 1.6-related issues.  We
should probably keep track of Bio::Phylo compatibility somehow, maybe
by submitting a ticket to bugzilla or by other means if you want
(wiki, your blog, etc).

As for 1.6, personally I would like to get it out ASAP (early fall
2008), with a new 1.7 dev series very soon soon after (fall-winter
2008).  However, a new release is blocking on some significant issues
that need to be resolved.  The two foremost in my mind are (1) OBDA
compatibility issues between various Bio* (BioRuby, for instance) and
(2) bioperl-db problems with recent Bio::Species changes.  Both issues
have tickets in bugzilla for tracking.