[Bioperl-l] Smaller Bioperl Modules

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 22 02:39:34 UTC 2008

Hi Nat!

We have discussed breaking things up but there was never a full
consensus on it and I think, in the long run, it would have been too
hard to convince everyone, particularly the CPAN folk, that it made
sense to have tons of separately installable mini-bioperl modules.

We do still intend on paring down core to the bare essentials,
removing as many dependencies as possible, and having a separate tools
and dev set of modules.  I added a page on the wiki on my proposal for
the intended split (others have added a few things here and there):

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Proposed_1.6_core_modules

It's worth reviving this discussion again; when I have more time I
want to spearhead a 1.6 release.

chris