[Bioperl-l] Install help errors

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Fri Jul 4 09:29:05 UTC 2008

Alex Lancaster wrote:
> Fedora does ship the latest bioperl (1.5.2) and bioperl-run, as
> perl-bioperl and perl-bioperl-run, respectively see:
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/perl-bioperl
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/packages/name/perl-bioperl-run
>
> but we haven't yet packaged the bioperl-db module, but I could
> certainly look into doing that.
>
> Is http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Getting_BioPerl the best place to add
> section a section on the Fedora packages for bioperl?

Yup, thanks for doing that.

> Incidentally why is 1.5.2 still called a "developer" release and 1.4
> "stable", it just confuses users who tend to assume that the "stable"
> release is the one they should install (and Linux distributions for
> that matter).  1.5.2 is now already 3 or so years old, so it should be
> considered the default release by now.

See
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_difference_between_1.5.2_and_1.4.0.3F_What_do_you_mean_developer_release.3F

While I've got you, what are your thoughts on this?:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.perl.bio.general/17282

Is this still an issue with recent version of Fedora? Does the problem
indeed come and go with different versions? Why does Fedora suffer the
problem at all?