[Bioperl-l] How to add branch labels for PAML codeml branch models

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Fri Feb 8 18:18:59 UTC 2008

http://bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:Trees#Reading_and_Writing_Trees

Remember that in newick format bootstrap and internal node ids are
effectively the same thing - that we store in them separate slots in
bioperl is that fact that other formats can separate out this data
but there is no standard in newick format.  In sometime cases formats
do accept the node labels that look like NODEID[BOOTSTRAP]  for
internal nodes (and BioPerl parses those out nicely) but most
programs don't recognize that.

On parsing, unless you tell Bioperl that the internal IDs are
bootstrap values it is going to store that data as an ID.
You will want to clear the bootstraps anyways to write PAML trees
anyways.

-jason