[Bioperl-l] ActiveState Perl problems

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 6 17:54:16 UTC 2008

Just an update: I have installed ActivePerl 5.10 on my WinXP box and
added the following repos to PPM4 (in the following order, just in
case it matters):

Kobes:
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/PPMPackages/10xx/

Bribes:
http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm

BioPerl:
http://bioperl.org/DIST

Note that the above Kobes repo is 5.10-specific.  SOAP::Lite is in
both Kobes and Bribes for perl 5.10.

I then ran into issues with XML::SAX::ExpatXS and XML::SAX::Writer
(the former is a binary-only, so likely failed with the ActiveState
autobuild process; the latter should work though, so it might be worth
hosting a version in BioPerl).  I removed both dependencies from
package.xml on the server and everything appears to install fine now
using PPM4.

I'll see if Randy Kobes can get an XML::SAX::ExpatXS version up.  It
is only required for 1.5.2; bioperl-live no longer requires it (just
XML::SAX).

chris

On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:36 AM, Nathan S Haigh wrote:

> Last time I was playing with Windows PPM packages, I seem to
> remember having to build some packages for inclusion in the BioPerl
> repo so that all
> dependencies were satisfied. Unfortunately, I don't have time to do
> this myself, but it's a work around if someone has time to do it?
> Alternatively,
> contact one of the other repo's and see if they can do something
> about it as it will/should be available for at least an older
> version of ActivePerl.
>
> Sorry I can't be more help.
> Nath
>

> Lincoln Stein wrote:
>> Sadly, bioperl still won't install under ActiveState 5.10 because
>> it can't
>> find a repository with the SOAP::Lite prerequisite.
>>
>> Lincoln
>>
>> On Feb 5, 2008 10:06 PM, Chris Fields <cjfields at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> According to this page you can remove the <ARCHITECTURE> tags and it
>>> will assume the files are for any OS:
>>>

>>> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.10/lib/ActivePerl/PPM/PPD.html#ppd_xml_format
>>>
>>> I have moved the old package.xml to package.bak and replaced it with
>>> one w/o those tags; I can now pick it up on Mac OS X using
>>> ActiveState
>>> perl 5.10:
>>>
>>> ppm> search *
>>> Downloading bioperl.org packlist...not modified
>>> 1: Bio-ASN1-EntrezGene v1.09
>>> 2: Bundle-BioPerl-Core v1.5.2_100
>>> 3: Bundle-BioPerl-Db v1.5.2_100
>>> 4: Bundle-BioPerl-Network v1.5.2_100
>>> 5: Bundle-BioPerl-Run v1.5.2_100
>>> 6: Class-AutoClass v1.01
>>> 7: GD-SVG v0.25
>>> 8: Graph v0.80