[Bioperl-l] Problems Installing Bioperl 1.5.2 - Windows

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:53:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:45 AM, Sendu Bala wrote:

> Terrance Mok wrote:
>> Hi I've been trying to install bioperl on a fresh install of
>> ActivePerl on
>> Windows.
>> Following the installation guide using the GUI Perl Package
>> Manager, I add
>> the 4 locations and all of them list 0 packages except for "Bribes
>> http://www.Bribes.org/perl/ppm <http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm>".
>> Then when searching for bioperl (with all package view), nothing
>> shows up
>> since no packages are found for all the other locations I added.
>
> Hopefully someone else will chime in, but perhaps there's something
> wrong with the server? Can anyone else confirm?

I haven't used ActivePerl in a while personally since switching to OS
X (even when using perl 5.10).  Terrance, did you follow the
ActivePerl instructions or our installation instructions?  Also, we
don't guarantee that it will work with AtcivePerl's 5.10 port but it's
worth a try; if not downgrade to the latest 5.8 build.

>> I've also had problems installing on Ubuntu (helping a friend),
>> when using
>> CPAN and following exactly the guide on the bioperl installation it
>> will not
>> work.  When doing the install command in CPAN, install S/SE/SENDU/
>> bioperl-
>> 1.5.2_102.tar.gz  she gets an error that
>> "/home/username/.cpan/build/bioperl-1.5.2_102: No such file or
>> directory at
>> Makefile.PL line 25."
>
> Hard to figure out what might be wrong without complete details. Can
> she install anything else via CPAN? Has she run out of disc space?

Haven't seen that before but it works for me using cpan and perl 5.8
and perl 5.10.