[Bioperl-l] BioPerl 1.6 RC1

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sat Dec 27 00:15:22 UTC 2008

On Dec 26, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Alex Lancaster wrote:

> it notes a few optional CPAN packages which aren't yet
> packaged for Fedora such as 'Algorithm::Munkres' and 'Math::Random',
> are missing.  Since they are optional and missing dependencies, I
> would have expected that the relevant bioperl modules such
> Bio::PhyloNetwork should also not be installed

I may have failed to chime in here earlier at the appropriate
opportunity, but I would be very hesitant about putting
Bio::PhyloNetwork into the stable release.

These modules have never been announced or discussed on the mailing
list with other developers AFAIAA, and so have never received any
scrutiny. I'm also not sure who else other than the authors are using
them, so I don't think there's a user base yet that could substitute
for developer scrutiny. One simple suggestion for example would be to
move them into Bio::Phylo::Network, so as not to unnecessarily
proliferate the first level package directory. So at the very least it
should be obvious to anyone that the API including the module names
are subject to change.

	-hilmar