[Bioperl-l] BioPerl 1.6 RC1

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 24 21:27:33 UTC 2008

All,

I am proud to announce that the first release candidate for BioPerl
1.6 is available for testing.

A quick note on versioning: due to issues with alpha numbered versions
on CPAN possibly overwriting a stable release, this release candidate
has a VERSION of 1.005009_001 (or 1.005009001).  This will be switched
to 1.006000 (no alpha) once the release is final.

The RC is currently being uploaded to CPAN and should be available in
the next 24-48 hours under authorname CJFIELDS.  In the meantime, the
release candidates can be directly downloaded here:

http://bioperl.org/DIST/BioPerl-1.5.9_1.tar.bz2
http://bioperl.org/DIST/BioPerl-1.5.9_1.tar.gz
http://bioperl.org/DIST/BioPerl-1.5.9_1.zip

Signature file:
http://bioperl.org/DIST/SIGNATURES.md5

A preliminary ActiveState PPM is also available and is located in the
BioPerl Release Candidate repository; the directions for installation
are here:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_Bioperl_on_Windows

Please feel free to report issues with testing, installation, etc. on
the mail list and on this page:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Release_1.6_Testing

I will be gone from Dec. 26-31 but will attempt to keep tabs on test
results and anticipate addressing any issues once I return.  The final
release should be ready in the first couple weeks of January 2009, of
course depending on issues that arise with this RC.

We will be releasing bioperl-run, bioperl-db, bioperl-network, and
others separately once the final 1.6 release is complete.

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!