[Bioperl-l] Build.PL, 'requires', 'recommends', and optional modules

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Wed Dec 10 20:42:38 UTC 2008

Dave Messina wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> So in testing the latest bioperl-live, I noticed that there's a new
> dependency for Microarray::Tools::ReseqChip, namely Statistics::Frequency.
>
> I seem to remember at some point during the Build process, I would get
> prompted if I want to install optional modules, but I wasn't, and poking
> around in the Module::Build docs I couldn't find the details.

Module::Build doesn't have that (installation) functionality. But see below.

> Since, according to the docs for Microarray::Tools::ReseqChip indicate it
> relies on Statistics::Frequency, I think S::F should go in the 'requires'
> block in Build.PL, right?
>
> And wouldn't that also be true for the other external dependencies of
> M::T::ReseqChip, Spreadsheet::ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel?
>
> Or do all three of those go in 'recommends'?

Recommends. The idea being, with BioPerl currently being as monolithic
as it is, not all users are going to want to use all modules within it.
We don't want to complicate their installation by having tons of
external dependencies if they never even use the BioPerl modules that
cause those deps. Not everyone will use B::M::T::ReseqChip, so we don't
force them to install S::F - we only recommend they do.

BioPerl installation now happens through Bio::Root::Build, which is a
subclass of Module::Build that lets users make an informed choice about
what to install. It has a system that detects missing deps, installs
them if they're required, and asks the user if they want to install any
of the recommended deps. Importantly, when it asks it explains what
BioPerl module(s) need that dep, hence the 'informed' choice.

Hope that's clearer (does this need explanation on the wiki somewhere,
do I need to add POD docs to B::R::Build?),
Sendu.