[Bioperl-l] global verbosity

Mark A. Jensen maj at fortinbras.us
Thu Dec 4 16:01:44 UTC 2008

[from the gmane link:
> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>> Well, the rule would be:
>>
>>     1) if a local (instance) verbosity has been set, use it
>>     2) otherwise, if a global (class, static) verbosity has been set,
>> use it
>>     3) otherwise, use a default value.
>>
>> This would mean indeed that if you changed verbosity for a specific
>> instance it will be unaffected by global changes of the verbosity  level.
]

I believe the solution follows those rules to the letter. The option for setting
verbosity
as an arg in the constructor remains, and while the global $VERBOSITY is used as
the default for instances, this variable itself has a default (0), which I think
handles rule 3.
The patch allows the instance verbosity to be undefined, and remain so, falling
through
to the global if the getter is called before the setter. This and the global set
method
(which obviates a need to know the global symbol) may be the under-the-hood
advantages
here, though Hilmar's solution is elegant and small.