[Bioperl-l] Bioperl Primer3 Tm calculation of a pre-defined primer

Giles Weaver giles.weaver at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 10:39:19 UTC 2008

Hi Tony,

It isn't well documented, but Primer3 includes a program called oligotm,
which is used to calculate the Tm of short sequences (up to 32bp). You can
run it directly by typing something like "oligotm ACGTACGTACGTACGT" in the
terminal. Just typing oligotm will give you the options.

If you are using Linux, these snippets of code may help you call oligotm
from within a perl script:

use IPC::Open3;

sub _run_oligotm
{
    my ($class, $sequence) = @_;

    my $run = "oligotm -tp 1 -sc 1 $sequence";
    my $pid = open3(\*WTRFH, \*RDRFH, \*ERRFH, $run);
    close (WTRFH);

    my ($tm, $errors);
    while (<RDRFH>) { $tm .= $_;}
    while (<ERRFH>) { $errors .= $_;}
    chomp $tm;
    return ($tm, $errors);
}

You'll need to put this in a package or edit out the $class bit for it to
work.

This is my first post to this list. I'm receiving the digest so replying to
posts is a bit of a faff. Can anyone recommend a better way of replying to
posts than replying to the digest, editing it and pasting the subject into
the subject field?

Giles Weaver
Unilever R&D