[Bioperl-l] Build.PL options?

Dave Messina David.Messina at sbc.su.se
Mon Aug 18 07:37:53 UTC 2008

Hi Mike,

Great to hear you're planning add BioPerl to MacPorts. Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't know how to disable the dependency resolution, but while
you're waiting for others to chime in , here are a couple of things you
might try if you haven't already:

- The Build.PL for BioPerl is configured to automatically write out a
Makefile.PL for you. If you're more familiar with MakeFile.PL, then you
could work with that.

Module::Build tries to maintain a certain level of cross-compatibility with
ExtUtils::MakeMaker; how do you disable dependency resolution with the
Makefile.PL system?

- The Build.PL API is pretty flexible, and it's easy to change just about
any behavior by passing parameters to Build.PL on the command line. See

http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.2808/lib/Module/Build/API.pod

and

http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.2808/lib/Module/Build/Cookbook.pm

I'm curious -- it seems to me that a major purpose of Build.PL and
Makefile.PL is specifying dependencies (and installing them where
necessary). Does MacPorts override that and do its own dependency-checking
for Perl modules?

Dave