[Bioperl-l] Problem with $seqobj->translate() when supplying parameters

Eric E. Snyder esnyder at vbi.vt.edu
Mon Oct 15 18:50:54 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am having trouble with translate() when supplying parameters such as
-frame, -codontable_id, etc.  I am working straight out of the tutorial
with a very simple program-- which has me stumped!

use Bio::SeqIO;
foreach my $file ( @ARGV ){
     my $seqio_obj = Bio::SeqIO->new(-file   =>  "<$file",
                                     -format =>  "fasta" );
     my $seq_obj = $seqio_obj->next_seq;

     print "loaded one sequence:\n\tdisplay_id\t" .
	   $seq_obj->display_id() . "\n" .
     	   "\tdescription\t" . $seq_obj->description() . "\n";

     foreach my $frame ( 0 .. 2){
         $prot_obj = $seq_obj->translate( '-frame' => $frame );
         print "translation = " . $prot_obj->seq . "\n";
     }
}

Everything works as expected until calling translate.  The output I get
is the translation of my FASTA sequence (in frame zero, repeated three
times) in which every "stop" is replaced with "-frame" (!!).  However,
with no parameters, translate works as advertised.

This is getting me down because by using the full complement of
translate options, including specifying frame, genetic code, alternative
start codons, etc., BioPerl will save me a huge amount of time... but
only if I can figure out how to use it properly!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sincerely,
eesnyder

--
Eric E. Snyder, Ph.D.