[Bioperl-l] need help ??parse AcNum from fasta?

Razi Khaja razi.khaja at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:46:12 UTC 2007

Here is the easiest non-bioperl solution using executables provided
with ncbi's blast:

(1) format your multifasta file into a blast database

> /usr/local/ncbi/blast-2.2.16/bin/formatdb -i yourmultifastafile -t yourblastdb

(2) extract sequences from the newly created blast database with a
file containing a list of accession numbers (one on each line)

> /usr/local/ncib/blast-2.2.16/bin/fastacmd -d yourblastdb -i inputfilewithaccessionnumbers -o outputfile

Your outputfile should be a multifasta file of your list of accession numbers

blast executables are available from
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/download.shtml

Hope that helps.
Razi Khaja