[Bioperl-l] Out of memory errors running Bio::ASN1::EntrezGeneagainst latest Homo_sapiens.ags file

Mingyi Liu mingyi.liu at gpc-biotech.com
Fri Oct 12 18:50:08 UTC 2007

Hi, Susan,

Mauricio is right. When there's a problem with Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene, it's better to directly contact me.  I actually deleted a few messages of this discussion before one caught my eye. Nowadays I'm working in some other areas and not tracking bioperl mailing list closely, a direct email to me would usually work out better.

As for the problem you mentioned, there could be two reasons: 1. It
seems that you converted the file to XML file instead of ASN file. My
parser is designed for ASN file, so please use gene2xml to convert the
downloaded file to ASN file instead of XML file.  It is likely the wrong
syntax of the file caused my parser to attempt to read the entire file
as a string (because it couldn't find the start/end).  However, there's
another minor possibility (which you might have taken care of already):
2. Perl 5.8 added 64 bit support, but I don't know if you have perl 5.8
64 bit installed on your system to support the 256 GB system memory you
have?  If not, your >5 GB file is over the 4 GB 32 bit Perl limit.

Let me know if my suggestions work out for you.

Best,

Mingyi