[Bioperl-l] Trying to find multiple homologs in multiple databases

Jason Stajich jason at bioperl.org
Fri Nov 30 20:21:13 UTC 2007

Viktor -
Bio::SearchIO helps you parse BLAST reports, but don't underestimate
the power of going as low-tech as possible and outputting scores with
the -m 8 option in NCBI-BLAST or -mformat 3 that give you tabular
format that is parseable with the 'split' function in Perl.

See the wiki http://bioperl.org/wiki for HOWTOs and examples of using
the parsers.

You might also consider already-written tools like OrthoMCL,
InParanoid, and other that help you define relationships like
orthologs and paralogs among species. There also exist a few
published web resources that have pre-computed homologs for you,
might take a look around first unless the point of the project is to
learn how to run these kinds of searches.

For general Perl help consider Perlmonks.org and some of  the
introductory books that are available.
-jason
--
Jason Stajich