[Bioperl-l] Aligning two alignments ...

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Tue Mar 27 17:24:03 UTC 2007

Stéphane Téletchéa wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm trying to compare alignments results for small protein sequences to
> validate my result from another method. In the best option, i would do
> on two sequences
>
> - run a clustalw alignment
> - run a blast alignment
> - run a T-Coffee alignment
> - use my own
>
> And align them all to see easily what is identical, what differs.

You don't want to align the alignments; that makes no sense and you
can't achieve anything without altering the alignments.

I suppose you actually just want to score the alignments against some
'ideal' alignment or against one of the others. In which case generate a
match line/ cigar line/ simply count the number of identical bases
across different alignment strings.