[Bioperl-l] Phyloinformatics Summer of Code

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Mar 4 14:54:06 UTC 2007

The Phyloinformatics Hackathon group, a significant fraction of which
is fielded by BioPerl-affiliated people (see http://
phyloinformatics.net/Participants), is preparing to apply for the
Google Summer of Code program.

The page for collecting ideas etc is at

http://phyloinformatics.net/Phyloinformatics_Summer_of_Code_2007

This is mostly a stub right now but will rapidly (have to) be fleshed
out over the next couple of days (the deadline for application is
March 9). Please feel free to add ideas that you have directly (wiki
registration is open), or email them to me.

If we are accepted, we'll (hopefully) have students over the summer,
some of which will possibly work on BioPerl-related projects. (There
will be non-BioPerl projects as well.) These may be newcomers to
BioPerl, newcomers to distributed OSS development, or even
programming newbies ... Given the helping hand that this community
has readily extended to newbies in the past, I'm hoping that you'll
help us help them overcome the initial barriers, too.

If anyone is willing to go beyond that and would be willing to help
out as a mentor (or back-up mentor), that'd be awesome; just drop me
an email.

Cheers,

	-hilmar