[Bioperl-l] First cut svn repository [was Re: SVN and ...Re: Perltidy]

George Hartzell hartzell at alerce.com
Thu Jun 28 12:43:37 UTC 2007

David Messina writes:

 > On Jun 27, 2007, at 2:49 PM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
 >

 > > On Jun 27, 2007, at 1:27 PM, David Messina wrote:
 > >
 > >> I would think we would want "Author Date Id Rev URL" set on
 > >> everything, no?. So either cvs2svn or your tool (whichever you think
 > >> is better), followed by
 > >>
 > >> 	svn propset svn:keywords "Author Date Id Rev URL" *
 > >
 > > Shouldn't this be done recursively?
 >

 > Yep, good catch! Thanks, Hilmar.
 >
 > Should be:
 >
 > 	svn propset --recursive svn:keywords "Author Date Id Rev URL" *

That's not quite what you want either.  It'll set the the keyword
property on all of the files, including things where you probably
don't want expansion to happen (e.g. images, someone said there are
binary wads in bioperl-run, etc...).

The Right Thing To Do is to grub around (grep) for '\$Id:' (and the
others) and set svn:keywords to files that are already using
keywords.  I have a bourne shell hack that'll do this, although it's
painful because it has to run in working directories....

Once we settle on a list of keywords to use, I'll take a wack at the
demo repository.

Likewise, you probably DON'T want to use this in your config file:

	  enable-auto-props = yes
	  * = svn:keywords="Author Date Id Rev URL"

since it'll do the same thing.

The Right Thing To Do is a more tedious

	  *.pl = svn:keywords="Author Date Id Rev URL"
	  *.pm = svn:keywords="Author Date Id Rev URL"
  	  *.c = svn:keywords="Author Date Id Rev URL"

A bit of googling will give you a good starting point for the list,
and we should probably maintain a common one somewhere in the repo.

I don't think that there's a server side way of doing this, short of
running some script via a hook around commit time.

g.